I’m currently looking for a contract (hint :) but today was not my normal day where I wake up, have a coffee, watch a bit of TV, then start looking for something… Because part of my start is checking out Social Media, where I came across this piece The only oil that goes with a Croatian bikini is olive! by teresafritschi via @JenniferSertl, one of the great global connectors. I’d encourage you to read the piece first, not only for the context of why I did this, but as to why you should be concerned that the oil industry and politicians will probably wreck the Adriatic in the next decade!
Now to the graphic – how did I do it and what is it’s validity? In short, I used PowerPoint to strip out backgrounds and scale things correctly so I could transpose the BP Oil Spill graphic (from One-fifth of juvenile Atlantic bluefin tuna killed by BP oil spill) on to Google Maps. All you have to do is “go” to New Orleans and adjust the scale on your Google Map so it’s the same scale as as the graphic’s one:
First, you use a clever little feature that PowerPoint has called “Remove Background”. Firstly, you use it on the Oil Spill to remove the “Background”, which PPT thinks is the faintest part, so on that graphic it’s the map – Voila!
There’s a bit of Art and Science in doing this – the key things I did for Croatia were align it with the coast and ‘reflect’ it so you have the same phenomena as on the top-right of the original Oil Spill because it’s in a sheltered area and so is the Adriatic. Just in case anyone questions this, I’ve been deliberately conservative as I actually think an oil spill could be even worse in the Adriatic as it’s effectively a confined space!
Once you have your underlay, how do you put it under the map? That’s where we go back to our friend from PPT, “Remove Background” – you’ll probably have to play about with it a bit this time (as the contrast between sea and land is not as obvious). You can now put together your final image as shown below by simply setting the layer order correctly.
All up, this probably took about an hour as it’s a bit of a fiddly process, but for a cause like Saving the Adriatic, it was well worthwhile.
Furthermore, if anyone’s drilling just off your coast, you can now do your own visualisation of what the impact may be on yourself and neighbouring countries ;-)
- Navigating Complexity
- Making the Most of Physical Flows in Connected World by @jhagel via @techonomy
- A dose of manufacturing creativity with @jonahlehrer
- Resources for keeping up with creativity & design via @Forbes
- Five Steps to Reaching Your Creative Destiny HT @yarrowkraner
- 10 Paradoxical Traits of Creative People via @faisal_hoque
- Designing the economy with principles of nature via @gideonro
- Designing A Smart City new model with @boydcohen & @manuchis
- From Ego System to Ecosystem by @ottoscharmer1
- The #Agile Path to Quality by @flowchainsensei +1 rich resources listed
Bonus: Design a thing by considering it in its next larger context a chair–> room –> house –> environment in a city plan ~ Eliel Saarinen
- Hope by Emily Dickinson
- How Optimism Creates Resilience via @bigthink
- Video: Abundance Is Our Future by @PeterDiamandis
- 5 Mantras For 2013 (or anytime!) by @faisal_hoque @FastCompany
- Instead of Making Resolutions . . . Dream by @johnsonwhitney
♫ Video: Natasha Bedingfield – Wild Horses
- Videos: The Porcelain Unicorn & A Piece of Chalk #poignant.
- Man’s Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl
- Social Entrepreneurship, CSR & the Imagination by @nigelcameron #cpet
- The New Triple Bottom Line by @ReachScale via @CSRwire
- Video: The Empathic Civilization by @JeremyRifkin
To make a difference in the face of all that stands in the way of making a difference
~ Don Michael
It’s adapted – seems like there’s quite a bit of flexibility involved too, as it’s probably about 20 feet below all the other trees…
Over to Jennifer now:
- Jay Forrester’s Shock the System sloanreview.mit.edu/article/jay-fo… by @ArtKleiner via @MITSloan HT @EkolojikZeka
- Self-Determination Theory selfdeterminationtheory.org/SDT/documents/… by #ROC treasure Professor Edward Deci
- Treasure trove of article references from military resilience training ppc.sas.upenn.edu/mrtinarmyjan20…
- 10 Principles for a Swan Proof World ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/5… by @nntaleb
- Trajectory Shift Request: At Davos: Why U.S. companies fail to innovate |ti.me/Ts9y6V via @TIMEBusiness
- Mastering Risk gbn.com/articles/pdfs/… … via @gbntweets
- Viktor Frankl’s Man’s search for meaning . . . perhaps the most important read in your lifetime: Man’s Search for Meaning
- The Stockdale Paradox + Optimism bigthink.com/think-tank/the…
- Resilience is to the 21st century what growth was to the 20th bit.ly/I52mE (treasure trove) via @auerswald
- Pure gold: Resilience + Knowledge Management knowcademy.com/2013/03/17/res… HT @toughLoveforx
It’s “Blog Sunday” (when I do some entries for now and the coming week) but I’m also doing some Clojure coding and watching @Kevlin Henney‘s “The Programmer”. and @Edumund Jackson‘s “Clojure Data Science” So, it seemed apt that I publish Jennifer’s list on Design to keep my “blog pace” up, which is my current experiment…
- The Laws of Subtraction changethis.com/manifesto/99.0… … by @MatthewEMay HT @CoCreatr ♫ #simplicity
- Design Principles Index deloitte.com/view/en_US/us/… via @Deloitte HT @On_the_edge1
- Business model visualization rossdawson.com/frameworks/ by @rossdawson
- Aligning Personal Development with Business Strategy enlargeexcelevolve.com/2012/12/aligni… my pov with @DrAmitInspires
- Strategy + Leadership + Soul agility3r.com/book-section/c… my life’s work~ biz strat + self awareness
- Robust internal business design box.com/shared/af7861f… by @Ronald_C_Stern #humanize
- Designing A Smart City fastcoexist.com/1680538/what-e… new model bit.ly/157oDwp with @boydcohen & @manuchis #smartcities
- Designing the economy with principles of nature yesmagazine.org/issues/what-wo… via @DonRichNet @gideonro
- From Ego System to Ecosystem ottoscharmer.com/docs/articles/… by @ottoscharmer1
- The #Agile Path to Quality flowchainsensei.wordpress.com/2013/03/06/the… by @flowchainsensei rich resources listed,thx.
As I remarked in my previous post with Kevlin Henney’s ACCU 2013 Resources, I’ve archived quite a few of Jennifer Sertl’s tweets, specifically when she does a “Top 10”, as I’ve always wanted to archive them in some form because it’s always good info. To that end, I’ve decided to share them as blog posts to get back in to some regular blogging.
Without further ado, here’s her Top 10 InfoBytes on Learning:
- Teaching Smart People How to Learn (Argyris classic) bit.ly/9VyOsx via @DavidHolzmer | un-learn to learn ∞
- Passion & Flow edgeperspectives.typepad.com/edge_perspecti… by @jhagel
- Drive – the surprising truth about motivation #RSA by @DanielPink
- The Empathic Civilization #RSA via @JeremyRifkin
- Building personal capacity for #reflection enlargeexcelevolve.com/2013/02/reflec… … my personal model w/ @DrAmitInspires
- The Age of Insight wired.com/wiredscience/2… by @jonahlehrer via @wired
- How reading can increase critical thinking enlargeexcelevolve.com/2012/10/hug-an… my pov w/ @DrAmitInspires
- Here are the three fundamental books I’d love all educators to have… klout.com/user/JenniferS… … #edu
- How serious are we about learning? censemaking.com/2012/07/26/how… … sober view @cdnorman
- From Overloaded Circuits web.mit.edu/mitpostdocs/do… … … … toward the Power of Pause bkconnection.com/static/The_Pau… … … … via @BKpub